Proof of birth date and creditable military service months are basic requirements for most retirement and survivor RRB benefits.
- Proof documents may be submitted at any time and vital information will be recorded and stored electronically until an application is filed. Railroad employees and their spouses are encouraged to file proof of age, military service, and marriage prior to retirement. This will expedite the annuity application process and avoid any delay in payment processing due to inadequate proofs.
- The best proof of age is an original birth certificate or other official record made shortly after birth.
- Other original documents may also be acceptable.
- Documents that have been altered in any way are not valid and cannot be used.
Military service in a branch of the Uniformed Armed Forces of the United States, may increase or provide eligibility for a RRB benefit.
- Submit a copy of the Dept. of Defense Form DD-214, or other evidence of active duty, for a determination of creditability and recording of military service information.
Local RRB offices can explain how to get acceptable birth or military service evidence.
- All material will be carefully handled and promptly returned.