RRB has the following e-mail policy. This policy governs all communications sent
and received by e-mail. This policy does not cover tape exchanges, electronic
data interchange and analogous mass data disclosures.
- RRB will apply existing correspondence controls and customer service
standards to process e-mail. Supervisors and staff are to access e-mail
accounts at intervals sufficient to meet or exceed customer service standards
- RRB will reply to e-mail in the most effective and efficient way possible
having appropriate security, including e-mail, facsimile, telephone, letter or
- RRB replies by e-mail will not contain sensitive personal information
until technology provides security to protect such information from
- RRB will maintain paper copies of e-mail inquiries and RRB replies, if
current standards would require retention of the record if it were
- RRB will not accept e-mail for: applications for benefits, appeals,
submission of proofs; or any other purpose where the RRB's regulations or
procedures specify a form or specific format for providing information.
EXCEPTION: Official forms that a party
has “downloaded” and properly executed and filed according to instructions on
the form and the RRB's regulations.
- The RRB Website shall warn customers that our e-mail is not secure so they
can make informed decisions about transmitting or posting sensitive
information and choose another mean of contact if appropriate.
- The RRB will use e-mail for official agency business only.
- The RRB will delete without opening e-mail that is readily identifiable as
advertisements or “junk-mail.”
- RRB staff may open e-mail and attachments only under official agency
procedures and only with RRB approved virus control software.