Frequently Asked Questions
Questions have been divided into the categories below. Most answers are provided by linking to a pertinent part of a publication on this website.
|All Annuitants and/or Workers||Pre-Retirement|
|Current Worker||Retirement/Survivor Annuity|
- What do I do to report the death of an annuitant?
- What Internet services are currently offered by the RRB?
- How can the Help-line help me?
- How do I send a secure message to my district office?
- What is the Railroad Retirement Board appeals procedure?
- How is the Customer Service Plan progressing?
- Where is my district office and how do I contact them?
- How do I report fraud?
- My railroad employer has offered me a buy-out. How would accepting it affect my future benefits?
- I am a railroad worker; how do I find out about open railroad jobs?
- What is the benefit rate for Railroad Unemployment and Sickness Benefits?
- What are this year's Railroad Retirement and Unemployment Insurance Taxes?
- How do you read or correct a BA-6 Certificate of Service Months and Compensation?
- What are the Occupational Disability Standards? (Takes several minutes to load.)
- What changes are there in the new benefit year for unemployment and sickness benefits?
- Is the Railroad Retirement Board going to be there when I am ready to retire?
- Longevity of Railroad Retirement Beneficiaries
- Where can I get information about the Railroad Retirement and Survivors' Improvement Act of 2001 (RRSIA)?
- What is the longevity of the railroad annuitant population?
- What is the financial health of the U.S. Railroad Retirement Board?
- Can I obtain genealogical information from the U.S. Railroad Retirement Board?
- Where can I get my annuity estimate online?
- What can I do to get ready for retirement?
View presentation on Advance Filing of Proofs for Retirement
- What are the conditions to be eligible for a
Railroad Retirement Annuity?
View presentation on Basic Retirement Eligibility
- What if I need to retire because of disability?
- How do you determine a current connection?
View presentation on Current Connection
- What are the requirements for a spouse annuity?
- When is military service creditable toward benefits under the railroad retirement act?
- When is a divorced spouse entitled to an annuity under the Railroad retirement Act?
- How is a Public Service Pension treated if you are a spouse or widow(er)?
I'm planning to retire, how will my accrued vacation time affect my annuity?
View presentation on Vacation and Service Months
- How does receiving a Social Security benefit affect my Railroad Retirement annuity?
- What is the 2012 earnings limitation?
- How do Railroad Retirement annuities compare with Social Security benefits?
- How is my Federal Income tax affected by receiving railroad retirement benefits?
- How are annuities partitioned by court decree?
- What are the components of an employee or spouse retirement annuity?
- How can I find out more about student benefits?
- What events need to be reported to the Railroad Retirement Board?