Office of the Labor Member
Informational Conference Program
and Sickness Benefits
Unemployment Benefits - Slide 6
- Can file applications and claims by mail, online, or in an RRB field
- Applications must be received by an RRB office within 30 days of becoming
- Claim forms then mailed to employee; also available online.
- Completed claim forms must be received by an RRB office within 15 days of
end of claim or date claim mailed to employee or made available online, whichever is later.
- Claims should not be signed or filed before last day of claim.
- Most claimants will receive first benefit payment in about 3 weeks.
- Claimants required to enroll in Direct Deposit.
- No benefits are payable for late claims without good cause.
- Railroad employers are notified of applications and claims.
- Claimant should be sure to claim rest days.
- To file electronically, employees must first establish an RRB online account.
For security purposes, first-time users must apply for a Password Request Code,
which they will receive by regular mail in about 10 business days. To do this,
employees should click on the link for requesting a Password Request Code (PRC) in the Benefit
Online Services Login section of the www.rrb.gov home page. The information claimants
provide must match the information in the RRB's records.
- Once employees establish their online accounts, they will be able to
file unemployment benefit applications and claims online, view their
individual accounts online, including the amount and date of their latest
five benefit payments, and conduct other business with the RRB over the
- Employees are encouraged to establish online accounts while still
employed so the account is ready when they need it.