Office of the Labor Member
Informational Conference Program
and Sickness Benefits
Sickness Benefits - Slide 9
- Secure and complete employee's portion of sickness application.
- Have doctor complete doctor's portion promptly.
- Mail form to the RRB in Chicago within 7 days of becoming sick or
- Claim forms then mailed to employee and returned to local RRB field office;
also available for completion online.
- Applications received after 10
days but within 30 days of first day for which
employee wishes to claim benefits are generally considered timely filed if
there is a good reason for the delay.
- Claims must be received at the
RRB within 30 days of the last day of the
claim period, or within 30 days of the date the claim form was mailed to the
claimant or made available online, whichever is later.
- Initial sickness claim must begin with 4 consecutive days of sickness and
contain at least 5 days of sickness in order to satisfy waiting period.
- Most delays in sickness benefit payments occur because doctors do not
complete and submit forms promptly. This applies to the initial doctor's form,
as well as subsequent forms needed to continue payments.
- Claimants required to enroll in Direct Deposit.
- Applications and doctors' statements must be submitted by mail.
- To file claims electronically, employees must first establish an RRB Internet
Instructions for establishing an online account can be found in the "Benefit
Online Services Login" section on the
www.rrb.gov home page. For security purposes, first-time users must apply for a Password Request Code
(PRC). The agency automatically mails a PRC to any employee who files a paper
application for unemployment or sickness benefits. If an individual has not
received a PRC, they can request one by clicking the appropriate box on the
home page. They will then receive the PRC by mail at their home address in
about 10 days.