Office of the Labor Member
Informational Conference Program
and Sickness Benefits
Sickness Benefits - Slide 9
- Secure and complete employee's portion of sickness application.
- Have doctor complete doctor's portion promptly.
- Mail form to the RRB in Chicago within 7 days of becoming sick or
- Claim forms then mailed to employee and returned to local RRB field office;
also available for completion online.
- Applications received after 10
days but within 30 days of first day for which
employee wishes to claim benefits are generally considered timely filed if
there is a good reason for the delay.
- Claims must be received at the
RRB within 30 days of the last day of the
claim period, or within 30 days of the date the claim form was mailed to the
claimant or made available online, whichever is later.
- Initial sickness claim must begin with 4 consecutive days of sickness and
contain at least 5 days of sickness in order to satisfy waiting period.
- Most delays in sickness benefit payments occur because doctors do not
complete and submit forms promptly. This applies to the initial doctor's form,
as well as subsequent forms needed to continue payments.
- Claimants required to enroll in Direct Deposit.
- Applications and doctors' statements must be submitted by mail.
- To file claims electronically, employees must first establish an RRB
online account. For security purposes, first-time users must apply for a
Password Request Code, which they will receive by regular mail in about 10
business days. To do this, employees should click on the link for requesting a Password
Request Code (PRC) located in the Benefit Online Services Login section of the
www.rrb.gov home page. The information
claimants provide must match the information in the RRB's records.