Information about Medicare for railroad workers and their families
Palmetto GBA, RRB's Medicare Carrier
- About Railroad Medicare
- Telephone Inquires - If you have questions about your Railroad Medicare Part B
claim, you may call the Palmetto GBA toll-free Customer Service Unit at (800)
833-4455, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. for all time zones
with the exception of PST, which receives service from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
For the hearing impaired, call TTY/TDD at (877) 566-3572. This line is for the hearing impaired with the appropriate dial-up service and is available during the same hours Customer Service Representatives are available.
Spanish inquiries can be directed to (800) 833-4455.
Medicare Premium Information
- Part A Deductible and Part B Premium Amounts
Withholding Medicare Part C and Part D Premiums -
Beginning with Medicare premiums due for June 2011, the RRB
is able to withhold premiums for Medicare Part C (Medicare Advantage Plans)
and Medicare Part D (prescription drug plans) from benefit payments.
Beneficiaries should contact their plans to request withholding of these
premiums from their monthly benefit payment.
Part C and Part D premiums vary according to the plan and provider. Effective January 2011, the Affordable Care Act of 2010 requires some Part D beneficiaries to also pay an income-related monthly adjustment amount (IRMAA), depending on a beneficiary's or married couple's modified adjusted gross income. Currently, Part D beneficiaries pay the regular premium to their Part D plan and the income-related monthly adjustment amount (IRMAA) directly to the RRB.
While the RRB will now be able to deduct the regular Part D premiums for individuals who elect to have them withheld from their benefit payments, Part D enrollees subject to the IRMAA will continue to receive a separate bill for that portion from the RRB, because the agency is unable to deduct those amounts from benefits at this time.
- Annual Enrollment Period Reminder - In accordance with information from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), beginning in the fall of 2011, the annual enrollment period for Part C and Part D coverage will begin and end earlier. Effective this year, the annual enrollment period will be from October 15 to December 7; previously, it ran from November 15 to December 31. However, changes and enrollments made during this period will still be effective on January 1 of the following year.
- Medicare Part D IRMAA -
Starting January 1, 2011, the Medicare Part D Monthly premium could be higher based
on a beneficiary's income. This includes Part D coverage received from a
Medicare Prescription Drug Plan, a Medicare Advantage Plan with prescription
drug coverage, or a Medicare Cost Plan that includes prescription drug
If your modified adjusted gross income as reported on your IRS tax return from 2 years ago was more than $85,000 (individuals and married individuals filing separately) and $170,000 (married individuals filing jointly), you will have to pay an extra amount for your Medicare Prescription Drug coverage. This extra amount is called the income-related adjustment amount. You will have to pay this extra amount in addition to your monthly Part D plan Premium.
- Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount (IRMAA) for Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage Frequently Asked Questions
Information from Medicare.gov
- Help to Pay Your Health Care Costs
- Medicare Premiums
- Medicare.gov Publications
- Medicare Summary Notices (MSNs) Available Online
- Medicare & You
(Summary of Medicare benefits, rights and obligations, and answers to the most frequently asked questions about Medicare)
- Help with Prescription Drug Costs