You can call the Railroad Retirement Board at 1 877 772-5772 during normal business hours to speak to an RRB representative. If you have a touch-tone telephone, recorded information and automated services are available 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays.
What You Can Do
During normal business hours (9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.) you may press "0" at any time to speak with an RRB representative. Select "1" to use the automated RRB HelpLine 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays to do the following:
Unemployment and Sickness Benefits
If you are claiming railroad unemployment or sickness benefits, you can:
- Check the amount and date of your latest benefit payment, and the claim period for which the payment was made.
- Review information about your last 5 payments.
- Confirm whether we've received your latest unemployment or sickness claim, application for benefits, or supplemental doctor's statement.
- Hear general information regarding
You will need your social security number and your Personal Identification Number (PIN) to get information about your unemployment and sickness benefit payments and claims. Your PIN is printed on the back of each claim form we mail to you.
Railroad Retirement Annuities
If you are receiving a railroad retirement annuity, you can:
- Request a letter showing your current monthly annuity rate.
- Request a duplicate tax statement.
- Hear general information regarding retirement benefits.
You will need your RRB claim number and your date of birth. We will mail the letter and/or duplicate tax statement to your home address.
If you are covered by Medicare, you can:
- Request a replacement Medicare card.
- Hear general information about Medicare.
You will need your railroad retirement claim number, your Medicare number and your social security number. We will mail the new Medicare card to your home address.
- Obtain a statement showing your months of railroad service and the amount of compensation credited to you under the Railroad Retirement Act. You will need your social security number to obtain this statement. We will mail the statement to your home address.
- Find the address of the RRB field office serving your area. You will be asked to enter your ZIP Code to obtain this information.
- Hear urgent announcements, if any, regarding the RRB.
If you want to skip parts of the recorded messages or menus, and know the next item you wish to choose, you may make your next selection at anytime. For instance, if you want to find the address of the RRB field office serving your area, you may press 5 as soon as you hear the beginning of the explanation of the menu options.
Some of the automated RRB HelpLine options require that you enter the letters that come before your claim number. If you are asked to enter letters, look at the letters printed on the keys of your telephone and press the corresponding keys. For instance, if your claim number begins with the letter "A", press 2.
Main Menu Features
Call 1 877 772-5772
Urgent Announcement (If applicable)
When you call, you will get the following 5 major options:
Option 0: Transfer to your local Field Office
Option 1: Automated HelpLine
Choice 1: Unemployment and Sickness Benefits Menu
Choice 1: Benefit Payment Information
Choice 1. Most Recent Payment
Choice 2. Last 5 Payments
Choice 2: Claim Status Information
Choice 1. Unemployment Claim
Choice 2. Sickness Claim
Choice 3. Unemployment Application
Choice 4. Sickness Application
Choice 5. Supplemental Doctor's Statement
Choice 3: General Information
Choice 2: Railroad Retirement Annuities
Choice 1. Request Rate Verification Letter
Choice 2. Request Duplicate RRA Tax Statement
Choice 3. General Information
Choice 3: Medicare
Choice 1. Request Duplicate Medicare Card
Choice 2. General Information
Choice 4: Other Options
Choice 1. Find RRB Field Office
Choice 2. Request Service & Compensation Statement
Option 2: Return RRB Representative's Call
Option 3: Special Events (if applicable)
Option 5: Find RRB Field Office