The following policy governs all RRB communications sent and received by email. This policy does not cover tape exchanges, electronic data interchange, and analogous mass data disclosures.
- RRB will apply existing correspondence controls and customer service standards to process email. Supervisors and staff are to access email accounts at intervals sufficient to meet or exceed customer service standards.
- RRB will reply to email in the most effective and efficient way possible having appropriate security, including email, fax, phone, letter, or personal visit.
- RRB replies by email will not contain sensitive personal information until technology provides security to protect such information from unauthorized disclosure.
- RRB will maintain paper copies of email inquiries and RRB replies, if current standards would require retention of the record if it were paper-based.
- RRB will not accept email for: applications for benefits, appeals, submission of proofs; or any other purpose where the RRB's regulations or procedures specify a form or specific format for providing information.
EXCEPTION: Official forms that a party has downloaded and properly completed and filed according to instructions on the form and RRB regulations.
- The RRB's website shall warn customers that our email is not secure so they can make informed decisions about sending or posting sensitive information and choose another mean of contact if appropriate.
- The RRB will use email for official agency business only.
- The RRB will delete without opening email that is readily identifiable as advertisements or “junk-mail.”
- RRB staff may open email and attachments only under official agency procedures and only with RRB approved virus control software.