RRB has the following e-mail policy. This policy governs all communications sent and received by e-mail. This policy does not cover tape exchanges, electronic data interchange and analogous mass data disclosures.
- RRB will apply existing correspondence controls and customer service standards to process e-mail. Supervisors and staff are to access e-mail accounts at intervals sufficient to meet or exceed customer service standards
- RRB will reply to e-mail in the most effective and efficient way possible having appropriate security, including e-mail, facsimile, telephone, letter or personal visit.
- RRB replies by e-mail will not contain sensitive personal information until technology provides security to protect such information from unauthorized disclosure.
- RRB will maintain paper copies of e-mail inquiries and RRB replies, if current standards would require retention of the record if it were paper-based.
- RRB will not accept e-mail for: applications for benefits, appeals, submission of proofs; or any other purpose where the RRB's regulations or procedures specify a form or specific format for providing information.
EXCEPTION: Official forms that a party has “downloaded” and properly executed and filed according to instructions on the form and the RRB's regulations.
- The RRB Website shall warn customers that our e-mail is not secure so they can make informed decisions about transmitting or posting sensitive information and choose another mean of contact if appropriate.
- The RRB will use e-mail for official agency business only.
- The RRB will delete without opening e-mail that is readily identifiable as advertisements or “junk-mail.”
- RRB staff may open e-mail and attachments only under official agency procedures and only with RRB approved virus control software.