Please share this information with the appropriate members of your staff who file service and compensation reporting forms for employees of your organization.
The Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) is pleased to announce that effective October 1, 2012 the following new services are now available on the ERSNet system:
- ID-6, Monthly Report of Tier I Tax Transactions (NEW)
- ID-6Y, Summary Report of Tier I Yearly Tax Transactions (NEW)
- ID-40Q, Quarterly Notice to Employers - RUIA (NEW)
- ID-40R/S, Annual Notice to Employers – RUIA (NEW)
These forms are in addition to the current forms that are already available to employers via the Internet. A list of all current services and forms available to users via ERSNet are as follows:
- Form BA-3, Annual Report of Creditable Compensation
- Form BA-4, Report of Creditable Compensation Adjustments
- Form BA-6a, BA-6 Address Report
- Form BA-11, Report of Gross Earnings
- Form GL-129a, Record of Employer Determination on Employee Protest
- Form ID-4E, Notice of RUIA Claim Determinations
- Form ID-4K, Prepayment Notice of Employee’s Applications and Claims for Benefits under the Railroad Unemployment Insurance Act (RUIA)
Form ID-6 & Form ID-6Y
The ID-6 series consists of the ID-6, Monthly Report of Tier I Tax Transactions and the ID-6Y, Summary Report of Tier I Yearly Tax Transactions for an employer. These forms are used to provide employers with the monthly and yearly Tier 1 taxable amounts paid for employees under the RUIA system.
More specifically, the ID-6 provides employers with a monthly breakdown of taxable amounts by employee and the ID-6y provides employers with a yearly breakdown of taxable amounts by months with the year.
Form ID-40Q & Form ID-R/S
The ID-40 series consists of the ID-40Q, Quarterly Notice to Employers - RUIA and the ID-40R/S Annual Notice to Employers - RUIA. The ID-40Q provides employers and any subsidiaries, if applicable, with their benefit charges, benefit credits, cumulative benefit and contribution figures for the report quarter. The ID-40R/S provides a step by step breakdown of how their RUIA contribution rate for the next calendar year was calculated, their appeal rights, system level figures and pertinent information for the next calendar year; such as the surcharge, if applicable, and the new employer rate. The ID-40Q is released during the third month after the end of the report quarter. The ID-40R/S is released annually by October 15th for the next calendar year.
Access Levels on the ERSNet Site
Access to ERSNet is role-based, which means that each user's access is tailored to the role or work they do at their company. Access levels are assigned by the company, allowing employers to retain control over the forms their employees can view and submit. If you are not enrolled and want to begin filing your reports on ERSNet follow the instructions below. An Explanation of Access Levels is enclosed.
Applying for Access
To apply for access do the following:
- Read the enclosed Security Guidelines, which explain your responsibilities as a user of ERSNet. They are also available at http://www.rrb.gov/AandT/ERI/Part8/chapter8.asp.
- File the enclosed Form BA-12, Application for Employer Reporting Internet Access. Complete Sections A, B, and C, then have the designated employee sign Item 5 in Section B and return the form to you. The certification in Section D must be completed by an official of the company who has authority to sign official RRB forms. If you have signature authority, sign the certification. Otherwise, the company president and those persons designated on the Form G-117A, Designation of Contact Official, are assumed to have signature authority. For additional copies of Form BA-12 or information on how to complete it, go directly to http://www.rrb.gov/pdf/AandT/ba12.pdf or contact the Quality Reporting Service Center at the telephone number or e-mail address shown above. All employer forms can be accessed on the RRB website at www.rrb.gov.
Within three to five days of receipt of an acceptable application, the RRB will mail your user ID and password along with instructions for accessing the site. To deter fraudulent use of ERSNet, the Form BA-12 cannot be completed or filed on our website; original signatures (no reproductions) are needed and it must be transmitted by US or express mail carrier. For security reasons, facsimiles are not acceptable.
Detailed instructions on how to use the system are covered in Part VIII of the Reporting Instructions to Employers. See below for direct links to the reporting instructions on our website.
- Rail reporting instructions http://www.rrb.gov/AandT/ERI/Part8/chapter1.asp
- Labor reporting instructions http://www.rrb.gov/AandT/LRI/Part8/chapter1.asp
Explanation of Access Levels