The RRB follows the laws of the state or other jurisdiction in which the student resides.
Form G-315H Checklist for Documentation Needed for Student Age 18-19 in Home Schooling lists the items that most states require for home schooling. These include:
- A written notice to the superintendent of the school district, including the name, age, and grade level of the student, the address at which the instruction is done, the source of instruction materials, the basic core curriculum, the proposed schedule, and the credentials of the teacher;
- Approval of the home schooling by the superintendent of the school district in which the student resides;
- A teacher with at least a high school diploma;
- Maintenance of home school attendance records for the school year; and,
- Use of nationally recognized standardized achievement tests (including reading, mathematics, language arts, science and social studies) by the end of the school year.