Do not seek correction of personal information through the procedures described below. To seek correction of information related to individual records, benefits, or earnings, please contact the RRB field office nearest you.
In accordance with Section 515 of Public Law 106-554, codified at 44 U.S.C. § 3516, note, the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) has developed a procedure to allow you to seek and obtain correction of certain information RRB maintains and disseminates.
OMB has directed each agency to establish administrative mechanisms allowing affected persons to seek and obtain correction of information maintained and disseminated by the agency that does not comply with RRB or OMB information quality guidelines.
Procedures to seek correction of information under section 515 do not replace other established procedures for challenges to disseminated information. Challenges to information disseminated in the course of rulemaking should be made through the channels established for that purpose.
What you must do
To seek a correction of information under section 515, follow the procedure described below:
- State that your request for correction of information is submitted under Section 515 Information Quality Guidelines.
- Include your name, mailing address, fax number, or email address, and telephone number and organizational affiliation, if any. We need this information to respond to your request and contact you if required. Do not send us your Social Security Number.
- Clearly describe the information you believe is in error and want corrected because it does not comply with RRB or OMB Information Quality Guidelines. Include the name of the report or data product where the information is located, the date of issuance, and a detailed description of the information to be corrected.
- State specifically why the information should be corrected, describe the impact of the information you believe is in error, and, if possible, recommend specifically how it should be corrected. Provide supporting documentary evidence, such as comparable data or research results on the same topic, to help in the review of your request.
What we will do
Based on a review of the information provided, we will:
- Determine whether a correction is warranted, and, if so, what action to take. The nature, influence, and timeliness of the information involved, the significance of the correction on the use of the information, and the magnitude of the correction will determine the level of review and any corrective action.
- Respond to you by letter, e-mail, or fax. Our response will explain the findings of the review and the actions RRB will take.
- Respond to your request for correction of information within 45 working days of receipt. If the request requires more than 45 working days to resolve, we will tell you that more time is required, state the reason why, and include an estimated decision date.
Your right to appeal our decision
If you are not satisfied with our response to your request for correction of information, you may appeal our decision. RRB must receive your appeal within 45 working days of the date we responded to your initial request. When submitting an appeal, you must:
- Clearly state that you are appealing our decision of an earlier request for correction of information under section 515 information quality guidelines.
- Include your name, organizational affiliation (if any), telephone number, and your mailing address, fax number, or email address.
- Include a copy of your initial request and our response.
- Provide us with the reasons you feel reconsideration is warranted along with supporting documentation, if any.
RRB will convene a panel to review your appeal. During the review, the chair may contact you to clarify issues and may seek technical advice from outside the panel. The panel will typically advise you of its decision on your appeal within 45 working days from the time the appeal was received by RRB. If the panel requires more than 45 working days, you will be informed that more time is needed to evaluate the appeal and be given an estimated date for a decision.
How to submit your request
You must seek correction of information under section 515 in writing and send it to RRB by fax, email, or mail response as follows:
Bureau of Information Services
U.S. Railroad Retirement Board
844 North Rush Street, 3rd floor
Chicago, IL 60611-1275
Privacy Act Statement
We are authorized to collect the information you provide under section 515 of the Treasury and General Government Appropriations Act for Fiscal Year 2001 (Public Law No. 106-554, codified at 44 U.S.C. § 3516, note). It is needed to process your request for correction of information and allow us to reply accordingly. You do not have to furnish the information, but failure to do so may prevent your request from being processed. In general, the information you furnish will be used only to process and respond to your request. However, we may disclose information you give us (e.g., to a Congressional office in response to an inquiry made on your behalf, or the Department of Justice) if authorized or required by Federal law, such as the Privacy Act.