Work Performed By You Or Another Family Member
The RRB will receive an annual report of your non-railroad earnings from a tape match with the Social Security Administration (SSA).
You should report your earnings or the earnings of another family member included in the Special Guaranty when:
- The employment begins or ends to provide timely adjustment of your annuity;
- The employment is not covered under the Social Security Act (SS Act); or
- You or the family member will earn substantially more or less than was earned in the previous year.
Social Security Benefits
Whenever you or another family member files for or receives social security benefits, notify the RRB immediately. Failure to report social security benefits could result in an overpayment.
Student Change In School Attendance
Notify the nearest office of the RRB immediately when students are included in the Special Guaranty and any of the following events occur:
- Students change schools;
- Students complete the requirements for a secondary school diploma;
- Students reduce school attendance to less than full-time or less than 20 hours per week;
- Students stop attending school and do not intend to resume full-time attendance within the next four months; or
- Students start attending school that will be paid for by an employer.
Other Events To Report For Your Spouse
If your spouse is included in the Special Guaranty computation, report to the RRB if:
- Your marriage is terminated by death or divorce; or,
- The spouse entitlement is based on child-in-care and the child leaves your spouse's care and custody; or,
- Your spouse files for or receives a public service pension from any governmental agency or the amount of a spouse public service pension changes.
Other Events To Report For Your Children
If any of your children or grandchildren are included in the Special Guaranty computation, report to the RRB if:
- Any child marries, dies, is adopted, or enters military service;
- A step-child is no longer dependent on you; or,
- A disabled child recovers from the disability.
How To Report An Event
You can locate the nearest RRB office by calling 1-877-772-5772 or by visiting RRB field office where you can also send a secure message.
When you report an event, be sure to include all of the following:
- Your railroad retirement claim number;
- Your name and, when applicable, the family member's name;
- Your daytime telephone number;
- A clear explanation of what event you are reporting;
- The exact date (month, day, year) of the event; and,
- If you are reporting work, the name of the employer and the estimated earnings for the year.
When reporting a change of address, also include the new address, the old address and the date that you will start receiving mail at the new address.
If you wish, you may also call or visit your nearest RRB office. Most RRB offices are open from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. If you plan on visiting an RRB office, please call for an appointment so that we can better serve you.